Head lice have been identified, treatment has been applied but there is one final step. It is time to repeat the checking process.
- Check that all head lice have gone within 2-3 days of the final application to complete the treatment
- If the pack instructions specify that a second application is required, repeat the treatment for a second time, seven days after the first, to kill any lice that may hatch from eggs during that time
- Continue to check for head lice on a regular, weekly basis. Remember - Once a Week, Take a Peek
What if they are still there?
If you still find live lice after you finish the treatment either it's failed or there has been a re-infestation. If the treatment failed you'll usually find lice of all life stages but a re-infestation will usually consist of a few adult lice.
You’ll need to treat again so make sure:
- If you're using a pesticide change to a different type of treatment
- You read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly
- You use enough treatment to cover the whole head and full length of hair
- You leave the treatment on for long enough
- You complete the treatment course
If for some reason the problem persists, see your local pharmacist or GP for advice. Further information on head lice can be found here: